This recipe is adapted from the terrific cookbook called new Food of Life: Ancient Persian and Modern Iranian Cooking and Ceremonies, written by Najmieh Batmanglij.
Ingredients for sautéed salmon with garlic and orange juice
- 1 ½ pounds of salmon.
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 15 to 20 whole cloves of garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon saffron dissolved in 2 tablespoons of water. If you don’t want to use saffron use 1 tablespoon turmeric.
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups orange juice
- ½ cup fish dock or water will do in a pinch.
Preparation of sautéed salmon with garlic and orange juice
Get the butcher to take the skin off the salmon or do it yourself.
Cut the salmon into cubes and inch or two on each side and put them in bowl. Of course the salmon pieces will not be uniform, don’t worry about that.
Put the salmon in a bowl and mix thoroughly with the flour and salt.
Sauté the fish and the garlic in the olive oil over a hot flame in a nonstick pan.. This is one of the few places where I use nonstick pans. It would be nice if the pieces browned a bit, but don’t leave them too long or they will overcook.
Add the saffron water and the orange juice and adjust the salt and pepper as it cooks.
It’s nice to serve this with Indian saffron rice.