Another one of the great pies in my view, and in no way hurt by using frozen sour cherries. Use the recipe for a double crust pie dough.
Sour Cherry Pie Filling Ingredients.
- ¼ cup +2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground mace
- 5 cups sour cherries, tested
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into bits
Sour cherry pie filling preparation
- Mix the dry ingredients 1st and add the sour cherries
- Pour the filling into the pie shell.
- Dot the top with 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Cover with the top crust, crimp the edges, paint the crust lightly with milk and sprinkle on a thin coating of sugar.
- Bake the pie in a preheated 420° of and for 25 min. Then reduce the temperature to 350 and continue baking for about 25 to 30 min. Until the top is golden.
- For double decadence, served with vanilla ice cream.