In the mid Atlantic the rains have stopped in the wild mushrooms are gone. But it is a great time for eggplant and peppers. I usually slice eggplant, brush on a little olive oil and broil the slices until they are nicely browned on both sides. (See blog #29). Or I sauté eggplant cubes in olive oil before adding other ingredients. Delicious, but a lot of olive oil.
Eggplant is almost as good steamed. For this dish I used two medium, eggplant, peeled and cut into small squares. Combined with cherry tomatoes, chopped red onion and garlic it made a delicious eggplant salad.
- 2 medium-sized eggplant
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1 – 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the eggplant and cut into ¾ inch squares
- Steam the eggplant for 20 min or so until tender but not mushy.
- Chop the tomatoes into quarter inch dice.
- Chop the onion and garlic.
- Toss the eggplant with the tomatoes, onion and garlic, sprinkle with olive oil and white wine vinegre.
- And salt and pepper to taste.
One of my favorite ways to prepare my CSA’s red peppers is by simply sauteeing them in garlic and olive oil until very soft and then mushing into a paste.
Chicken Liver Pate
- 1/2 lb chicken livers
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup rendered chicken fat or butter
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cayenne pepper to taste
Preparation of Chicken Liver Pate